Are you considering a countertop water purification system for your home? Welcome to our expert Zen Water Filter Review and analysis. The Zen system is one of several countertop filtration systems that make alkaline water without the need to buy an expensive ionizer.
The key question: is it worth it? That’s one of several questions we answer in our review below. We’re very familiar with countertop alkaline water systems, and we have experience with the Zen system. It’s actually one of the original alkaline countertop systems to be sold in the US.
Let’s start by exploring the core features and highlights of this system before checking out the current Zen water system reviews to see what owners have to say. We’ll then wrap up the review with our thoughts and give the Zen our final score.
Zen Water Filtration System Overview
|Model||Features & Highlights|
Current Zen Water Filter Reviews
What are current Zen owners saying about this system? We investigated the current reviews to identify the pros and cons of owning this system. Here’s what we concluded after analyzing the Zen water system reviews:
- One photo of the ceramic pre-filter shows how effective it truly is at removing discoloration from water due to rust deposits in pipes. You’ll most likely enjoy knowing that the ceramic pre-filter is washable to prolong the life and enhance its effectiveness over the 1000-gallon lifespan.
- Users recommend propping the system up because it’s not quite tall enough to fit a tall glass below the spigot when the system is resting on its base alone.
- One of the clear advantages of the Zen water filter is its large capacity. If you have a large family, like to cook with filtered water (alkaline water enhances flavors when cooking), or make a lot of tea/coffee, you’ll appreciate having gallons of filtered water on tap.
- Be sure to buy the authentic Zen replacement filters as one owner found out the hard way after buying a generic cartridge. Click Here to go directly to the Zen Water Systems website for guaranteed authentic Zen filters.
- We recommend placing it away from direct sunlight in a cool place to avoid algae growth. You may even want to go a step further and cover it to minimize maintenance.
- The taste reviews for Zen filtered water are its greatest selling point. Most owners compare it to mountain spring water and report that it’s even better than most bottled water brands.
- There are enough leak reports to make it worth noting before you buy. Zen does provide instructions on how to stop leaks by turning the nut a quarter turn clockwise.
- One of the benefits of the system is owners tend to drink more water after they add the Zen filter to their homes. This equals better hydration and fewer unhealthy high-carb beverages.
- The Zen Water Systems customer service team stands behind its products and appears eager to help.
- Overall, most owners feel as though they got their money’s worth and love the taste of the filtered water. The Zen System is one of the most affordable and reliable countertop alkaline water systems on the market.
Our Zen Water Filter Review
Now it’s time for us to share our review. After reading through the customer reviews and expanding upon our existing analysis of this system, we’re confident that our review will lead you to a final decision:
- There are enough leak and crack reports to make these problems worth mentioning and noting before you buy. We believe the Santevia countertop water filter is a more reliable option, although it does cost a good chunk more.
- If you desire fluoride removal, the Zen water filter does not remove fluoride. We recommend going through the link above to read more about the Santevia system that offers a fluoride filtration option.
- If you live in a hot, humid climate, you may need to clean the Zen tanks more often, which could be a dealbreaker for you.
- Remember to buy the replacement filters directly from Zen (Click Here) because there appears to be a problem with generic filters posing as authentic Zen filters. We saw side-by-side photos that show clear differences between the real Zen filters and fake Zen filters.
- The system may be too large for some households and does eat up counter space. It’s important to consider where you plan to place it before you buy.
- The short warranty period of just 30 days
- As we mentioned earlier, the taste reviews are glowing for the Zen system. The taste of Zen filtered water is what keeps owners coming back for more. We noticed alkaline water machine owners and other alkaline water enthusiasts note that Zen water is the best they’ve tasted. We found this to be the most impressive highlight.
- The parts are BPA-Free.
- We love the multi-stage filtration with the ceramic pre-filter. This system undoubtedly removes most common water contaminants with the small pore size of the ceramic filter mixed with the power of silver-impregnated activated carbon and ion-exchange resin in the multi-stage filter.
- Far Infrared balls and Maifan mineral stones are the preferred choices for boosting the pH of filtered tap water.
- The large capacity of the filtered water supply tank makes the Zen system more convenient than alkaline water filter pitchers. If you plan to cook with alkaline water (which we recommend) or have a large family with pets, the Zen system is an excellent choice.
- The Zen water filter is the most affordable alkaline countertop system in our Top 5, especially when compared to the premium Nikken PiMag Waterfall.
Final Score: 7/10
How to Set Up and Clean the Zen Water Filter
Before we wrap up our review, we want to share a video of how to set up and clean your Zen water filter. Be sure to use a soft sponge on the plastic parts to avoid scratching the tanks:
Is the Zen water filter worth it? We believe it is with the right expectations. For the price, it’s certainly a worthy option since it costs considerably less than its competitors and gets the job done. The taste reviews alone are enough to make it a good buy.
There are drawbacks, including the handful of leak reports, although most leak problems appear minor rather than permanent. The more troublesome problem is the cracking tank reports. We recommend buying through Amazon or directly from Zen by clicking here.
At the time of this writing, Amazon is the better choice for the system, and Zen is the better choice for replacement filters.
What did you think of our Zen Water Filter Review? If there’s anything you’d like us to add, let us know your thoughts and experiences with this system in the comments section below!