Welcome to our in-depth Swell water bottles review! In this helpful buyer’s guide, we’ll answer all your questions before you decide to buy a S’well water bottle. By the end, you’ll know everything you need to know to make the best buying decision.
We’re big fans of vacuum-insulated stainless steel water bottles, and we believe their popularity will only continue to skyrocket over the next decade as more people wake up and realize that plastic waste is a grave global matter. The beauty of owning a stainless steel water bottle is it not only cuts down on waste, but you’ll also fall in love with the way it keeps your favorite drinks fresh.
S’well is one of the leaders in the industry for a reason. Below, we’ll explore Swell water bottle sizes & models, our review, Swell vs YETI, warranty info, and more.
Let’s start with photos of the available sizes and models.
Swell Water Bottle Sizes & Designs Comparison
One of the reasons people fall in love with their Swell bottles so quickly is the awesome design. There are a ton of different color patterns and sizes to suit everyone’s taste. Here’s a sampling of what Swell currently offers at Amazon #ad:
- The largest Swell water bottle is the 64 oz. Roamer, and the 25 oz. size is the largest Original model.
- There are marble Swell water bottles available for each model. The colors above are only a sampling of what Swell has to offer. Click any of the images above to see all the available designs at Amazon for that particular model.
- Which is the best Swell water bottle? Overall, the Original, Roamer, and Traveler models are the most popular.
- The Roamer is currently the only Swell water bottle with a handle.
- Do ice cubes fit in Swell Original water bottles? Most cubes from refrigerator ice makers fit while larger rectangular cubes from ice trays may not. The mouth opening measures approximately 29 mm or 1.14″ inches.
About Swell Water Bottles
CEO and founder, Sarah Kauss, started S’well in 2010. Her mission is to cut down on plastic waste by selling S’well bottles. She’s done a magnificent job of growing the Manhattan-based company at an accelerated rate since its inception. In less than ten years, S’well has transformed itself into one of the leading manufacturers of vacuum-insulated stainless steel water bottles.
S’well is partners with UNICEF and works closely with many additional charities. The S’well mission and culture are two of the main reasons we support them. We also know a trustworthy company when we see one. S’well’s unique combination of eco-friendly materials, eye-catching designs, and attention to detail are what we’ve come to admire.
Key Features & Highlights
In this section, we’ll go over the key features that set S’well water bottles apart from their competitors:
- Swell water bottles are BPA-Free
- Made with food-grade 18/8 stainless steel
- Triple-walled vacuum insulation with a layer of copper for ultimate temperature retention (keeps cold drinks up to 24 hours and hot drinks up to 12 hours)
- They fit in most car cup holders, and the bottom-heavy shape keeps the bottle upright
- The screw-on lid creates a leak-proof seal, many people store Swell bottles in their purses or backpacks without worry
- Condensation-free technology ensures no sweating on the outside of the bottle
- Swell Water Bottle Dimensions: the height of the 25 oz. Original is 13″ while the 17 oz. is 12″, both bottles are roughly 3″ wide
- Average Weight: the 17 oz. Original bottle weighs 11 oz.
- Are swell water bottles dishwasher safe? No, they’re not. S’well bottles are handwash only
- Swell Water Bottle Warranty & Return Policy: S’well offers a one-year limited warranty against manufacturer defects
What to expect?
We investigated all the information for each model and put together a helpful list of key points to consider:
- May keep your beverage colder for longer than Mira water bottles
- Prone to showing scratches
- Impressive temperature retention times, both hot and cold
- Ice may keep for multiple days
- Prone to dents if tossed around too much
- The Moonstone color shows scratches and scuffs
- The Roamer handle is comfortable to grip and makes the bottle easy to carry around at events
- You may find that it’s easier to drink 8 cups of water a day with the Roamer bottle
- The Tumbler doesn’t come with a lid. Click Here #ad for a direct link to buy the Tumbler lid at Amazon.
- Coffee can remain hot for 7 hours or more
- The mug is easier to clean and won’t leak when placed inside a purse or bag
Our Swell Water Bottles Review
Now it’s time for our two cents. Over the past month, we’ve researched and reviewed a long and growing list of vacuum-insulated stainless steel water bottles.
S’well is one of the brands we’ve spent the most time researching, and we’re confident our review will help you make the right choice.
- The triple-wall vacuum insulation with a copper layer is second to none. Expect S’well bottles to retain the temperature of your hot and cold beverages for longer than competing brands. Most other brands use double-wall instead of triple-wall insulation.
- We love the attractive color options offered by S’well for each model and the shapes of the bottles. Since we’re big on music festivals and other outdoor events, the Roamer is our personal favorite.
- The company culture and mission impress us. When we invest in a water-related product, we prefer to buy from a company with a healthy goal that partners with charities. S’well fits the bill.
- The impressively low number of rust and leak issues makes S’well one of the most reliable options out there.
- We’re strong believers in ya get what ya pay for, and S’well certainly gives its customers their money’s worth. Other companies may sell similar bottles for a few bucks cheaper, but we prefer to skip over the chance of rust or other problems.
- The most common complaint about Swell water bottles is paint chipping and scratching.
- The narrow-mouth design can be inconvenient in some scenarios such as cleaning, however, we like it overall.
- We do wish S’well offered a dishwasher-safe bottle.
Outside of the paint chipping problem and the inability to fit large ice cubes through the narrow mouth, we really can’t find anything else we don’t like about S’well bottles.
Final Score: 9/10
Swell Water Bottle Lids & Accessories
If you prefer a different type of lid or need a replacement, Swell offers some interesting alternates. Below are photos of alternative Swell lids and accessories available at Amazon #ad:
Swell Water Bottle vs YETI
Our two top-rated brands are S’well and YETI. We prefer YETI, and in this section, I’ll list the key differences between the two brands to help you choose which brand is the best for you.
Let’s start with a side-by-side comparison:
Key Differences & Considerations
- YETI cups are dishwasher safe while Swell bottles are not
- YETI cups are easier to clean since they have a wider mouth
- S’well offers significantly more color options
- S’well bottles offer triple-wall vacuum insulation while YETI cups use double-wall insulation
- YETI cups are tougher, you won’t experience the same paint chipping problem that Swell delivers
- YETI’s 14 oz mug is a work of art and the best in its class
- Both brands use food-grade 18/8 stainless steel
- YETI’s MagSlider lid is the smooth operator of tumbler lids
- YETI offers a wider range of accessories and companion products
Overall, YETI cups aren’t as visually appealing, but YETI is #1 on our list in the vacuum-insulated stainless steel bottle department. The one drawback is the double-wall insulation instead of the triple-wall. We would like to see YETI upgrade to match S’well.
Other than that drawback, YETI is a more functional product that’ll stand up better than S’well in tougher conditions and on outdoor adventures.
S’well bottles are best for the office, school, commuting, and other similar activities while YETI is better for hiking, camping, kayaking, fishing, and other outdoor activities.
There are certainly more benefits to owning a Swell water bottle than drawbacks. When you buy a Swell water bottle, you invest in a trustworthy company with a healthy mission that serves up a superior product. We love the features of the S’well bottle, particularly the triple-wall vacuum insulation that outmatches water bottles like S’well.
Are you interested in more awesome S’well designs? Our Sip by Swell review is the perfect place to discover the S’ip line and all the unique designs currently available.