Welcome to our que water bottle review. Que is one of several popular collapsible water bottle brands that have popped over the past couple of years. Since more and more people are embarking on global adventures these days, more people are in need of space-saving supplies to cut down on volume and weight. This is especially important to avoid the nickel-and-diming practices that most airlines are adopting at an alarming rate.
You may also be in the market for a collapsible bottle to bring on your next hike or want to see if these collapsible bottles are worth having around. In our review, we pick apart the que collapsible water bottle to see if it’s worth the money, explore current information, check alternatives, and other bits of info to help you decide whether que is the right choice.
Let’s start with the key features.
que Collapsible Water Bottle Key Features
- Made with 100% FDA & LFGB-approved food-grade silicone (0% plastic)
- Does the que water bottle hold hot water? Yes, up to 450°F (230°C). However, que recommends avoiding temps above 140°F (60°C) because the heat will bleed through the silicone and can burn your hand
- Kitchen-Grade 18/8 Stainless Steel (The same type of steel used in popular insulated water bottles)
- Wide-Mouth design for easier cleaning and adding ice
- Leak-Proof and Shock-Proof
- Dishwasher Safe
- Multiple colors available
- Capacity: 12 oz and 20 oz sizes available
- Dimensions: 12 oz (4″ Height when collapsed and 6.8″ open), 20 oz bottle (4.8″ Height when collapsed and 8.4″ open)
- Weight: 12 oz size weighs 5 ounces, 20 oz size weighs 6 ounces
que 20 oz Misty Mint
que 20 oz Misty Mint (Collapsed)
Now that we have the basics out of the way, let’s see what to expect from que bottles before moving to our review.
What to expect?
As part of our thorough review process, we dive deep into current information to spot both positive and negative trends to share with you. Here’s what we found during our que investigation:
- Once the bottle is filled with coffee, everything will taste like coffee after that, aka flavor transfer (one of the advantages of a quality stainless steel water bottle is no flavor transfer between beverages)
- You might not be impressed by the level of collapsibility
- You may have trouble removing and screwing the steel lid back on
- The bottle will tip over if there’s not enough liquid in it to hold it up
- Another concern we had was the size of the bottle. We recommend sticking with the 20 oz version because the 12 oz is too small for a long flight and most other activities.
- Durability issues with the bottle falling apart may occur
- The bottle can be hard to clean and can get moldy
- You might not like the smell or taste of the bottle
- The que Bottle is not condensation-free
- It’s awesome for travel and flights
- Stow it in your purse and have a cup when needed for a quick refreshment
- The customer service team is responsive. Keep in mind, que is a Kickstarter company, and its mission is to reduce plastic waste.
- Recommended for runners
- You’ll love how lightweight the que bottle is
- You may find that the bottle is durable
- Kids love it
Our que Collapsible Water Bottle Review
In most cases, I’m a tough critic. Right off the bat, I wasn’t impressed by que. I’ve reviewed a long list of water bottles, water filters, and other water-related products.
Here’s what I think about que:
- They have a healthy mission to reduce plastic waste. I love, love, love this. What I don’t like is using that mission to pass off an inferior product.
- In the same breath, I understand that que is in a growth stage and a Kickstarter company. Perhaps over time, they will improve the design of their product and iron out the flaws.
- The leak reports are the biggest turn off for me. If you purchase the que bottle, be extra careful not to put it inside a bag with electronics.
- This bottle is best for a quick drink on the go. For example, you’re hiking or camping and need a collapsible bottle that won’t take up much space. I think of que as more of a collapsible cup than a water bottle. I don’t recommend storing water or any beverages in it long-term to drink throughout the day.
- There are better options that won’t sweat in your car’s cup holder and will keep your drinks cold for long periods. If you’re looking for a bottle to use while running errands in your car, consider the Sip by Swell bottle or something similar.
- Overall, the que bottle is good to use in a pinch, not great as an everyday primary water bottle. Plus, there are better collapsible water bottles available in the same price range or for less. The whole point of a collapsible bottle is to forget it’s there, and the collapsibility of the que bottle does not impress.
Our Final Score: 3/10
Alternatives to que
I love to hike, travel, explore, and it’s essential to have access to fresh water while engaged in my favorite activities. It’s also essential to cut down on weight and volume when traveling. If you’re anything like me, you may prefer a roll-up water bottle over the que.
Here are two examples of reliable roll-up travel water bottles at Amazon #ad:
After reading through all of the que water bottle information and having a deep look at the design of the bottle, I can’t recommend it with confidence. I don’t like to get down on any product or company because I know people put a lot of time and effort into starting a company in a competitive environment.
What I do like is que’s mission and determination to get a Kickstarter company off the ground. They’ve done well enough to make it this far. Perhaps they’ll clean up the design, add some functionality, and get their brand turned in a positive direction. Until that happens, you’re better off selecting a roll-up travel bottle or alternative collapsible bottle.