Life Ionizer MXL-9 w/ Hydrogen Tech Review
w/ Molecular Hydrogen Infusion
Welcome to the fourth installment of my Life Ionizers MXL series reviews. Today, I share with you my comprehensive Life Ionizer MXL-9 w/ Hydrogen Tech review.
So far, I’ve reviewed the MXL-5, MXL-7, and MXL-15 ionizers, and I’ll tell you up front I’m impressed with Life’s new 2019 series. As we work our way up the ladder, the ionizers become more expensive because each model comes with two more electrode plates than the preceding model.
By the end of my review, you’ll conclude if Life Ionizers is a better choice than the popular Kangen Water brand or the TyentUSA brand. You’ll also learn everything you need to know about what’s inside the MXL-9 and if it’s worth the investment.
First, let’s look at what you get when you purchase the MXL-9 ionizer.
- 9 extra-large Matrix GRID™ platinum-coated titanium electrode plates (the new 2019 design by Life has more surface area to increase contact time between your water and the plates during ionization)
- Available in both countertop and under counter models
- Automatic molecular hydrogen infusion in your alkaline ionized water (molecular hydrogen is a powerful antioxidant that enhances the anti-aging benefits of your Life water)
- SMPS power is the new standard in premium water ionizers (this feature ensures your ionizer uses the optimum amount of electricity to avoid burning out the titanium plates and prolong the life of your ionizer)
- pH Range: 2.0 – 11.5
- Max Negative ORP: -411 mV at pH 9.5
- Dimensions: 12.5″ Width x 6.25″ Depth x 15″ Height
- Warranty: Lifetime warranty on both parts and labor
- 8 water settings (4 alkaline levels, 3 acidic, 1 purified)
- Customized dual-filtration system (Life pulls your local EPA water report to custom tailor the perfect filter for your area of the country)
- New Top Loading One-Click Filters™ design makes filter changes simple (no taking apart anything complicated)
- Filter life indicators on the display show you exactly how many more liters you have left on your filters
- Self-cleaning function with built-in UV light to instantly kill any bacteria or cysts that your local water provider may have missed
- Available in both 110V and 220V for international users
- Voice confirmations
- The under counter version includes a stainless steel faucet with controls that allow you to choose your water settings right from your sink
- BPA-free and BPS-free tubing
- Designed in California and manufactured in South Korea as a certified medical device
Below is a photo of the countertop MXL-9 model:
Below is a photo of the MXL-9 under counter model:
Here’s a photo of the stainless steel faucet that comes with the under counter model. You have the choice between Brushed Nickel, Oil Rub Bronze, and Chrome to match your kitchen:
Are you curious why the faucet has two spouts? The answer is the top spout dispenses your alkaline ionized water while the bottom spout dispenses acidic water that can be used for household cleaning or cosmetic uses.
Acidic water does a great job of clearing acne, but be sure not to drink the acidic water from the bottom spout.
You can also swivel the spout positions to your liking.
MXL-9 Replacement Filters
As I mentioned in the Features section, Life Ionizers uses a unique dual-filtration system in its ionizers.
When you order your MXL-9, the Life staff will pull your local EPA water report to examine which contaminants are affecting your local municipal water supply.
They will then determine which filter media is best for your area. Through my research on Life Ionizers, I found that they do provide third-party lab test results for their filters.
The results speak for themselves. All contaminants on the list were undetectable after passing through the MXL filters. Click here to see the test results for yourself.
The main ingredients in life’s filters are activated carbon, Vitamin C Ceramic Block®, and USA-made KDF which is used to remove VOCs and heavy metals. Average filter life is 6 months.
If you have hard water, it’s a good idea to install a whole house pre-filter to extend the life of your MXL filters. Click here for a quality filtration system that is affordable and will get the job done.
Note: Water ionizers are not compatible with reverse osmosis water because reverse osmosis filtration strips your water of all its minerals. If you have an existing RO system, you can simply install an inline remineralization cartridge to make your filtered RO water compatible with your ionizer.
To better understand how alkaline water machines work, click this link and jump to the section titled “How do alkaline water machines work?”
For those of you who prefer the countertop version of the ionizer, check out the video below to learn how to install your ionizer, cut the hoses, and get everything up and running:
Note: This video is for the older M9 model, but the installation process for the MXL-9 is basically the same. Life will also provide you with additional instructions, plus you have their customer service number if you prefer they walk you through everything.
The under counter installation is a bit trickier than the countertop installation. Any man worth his salt should have no problem installing the machine (I’m kidding).
Both men and women who are a bit handy should have no problem installing the under counter version. If you want to skip the installation and leave it to the professionals, hiring a local plumber is a good idea.
The under counter package comes with all the necessary parts you need for the installation, minus the basic tools required to complete the job.
I noticed that Life is currently selling its under counter model for a discounted price on Amazon. Click here to check it out before the price rises.
What’s the difference between MXL series ionizers?
I want to include this section to give you an idea of what makes each MXL series ionizer different. Be sure to check back later for my complete buying guide for the Life Ionizers MXL series with a comparison chart.
For now, here’s a list of differences between the ionizers:
- Warranties – starting with the MXL-9 and up, you get a lifetime warranty on both parts and labor
- The number of platinum-coated titanium plates – the number next to “MXL” signifies the number of plates in the ionizer (example: MXL-9 equals 9 plates)
- Maximum negative ORP – more plates = lower negative ORP = higher antioxidant potential in your alkaline ionized water = more health benefits
- pH range
- Power consumption
- Flow Rate
Life Ionizers Reviews
There’s a lot of debate on whether Life Ionizers is a legit company. Personally, I think they’re legit, but I’m also mindful that there’s no such thing as a perfect company.
They’ve been around since 1996 and have offices in the United States, Canada, and Europe. Their long history tells me they must be doing something right.
There will always be unhappy customers for any business with a wide variety of reasons for conflict. One thing I can confirm is that Life produces its machines in an ISO-certified facility in South Korea, where their machines are certified as medical devices.
The best water ionizers in the world are made in Japan and South Korea. There’s no getting around this.
Enagic Kangen brand, TyentUSA, AlkaViva, and Life Ionizers all manufacture their machines in South Korea or Japan.
You can also click here to check out Life Ionizers’ page on Trustpilot.com.
What are current owners saying about their ionizers?
When I look for honest reviews, I look for detailed testimonials rather than reviews that simply praise the quality of a product without any story to back up the claim.
Here are several reviews I found written by current Life Ionizers customers:
- One woman with several health problems received her ionizer as a gift from her mother. She has since started drinking one gallon of water a day because the great taste of alkaline ionized water is addictive. The key takeaway here is that better hydration alone will make you feel much better overall.
- One note I do see among negative reviews is that it can take a while to receive replacement filters. Life recommends having a replacement set on hand to avoid any downtime.
- One gentleman purchased an MXL-13 and has been drinking alkaline water for roughly a year. He reported a weight loss of 10 lbs, an improvement in overall health, and a significant reduction in his acid reflux (you can read my story to back up his claim because I too reversed acid reflux with alkaline water).
- Another woman reported no more joint pain and muscle soreness after working out.
- Several owners who have owned their ionizers for up to 10 years reported no issues with their machines.
My Life Ionizer MXL-9 Review
Overall, I like Life Ionizers as a company and believe their MXL-9 model is legit and a fair price for a machine with this number of plates plus molecular hydrogen infusion.
I’ve researched the science that backs up molecular hydrogen health benefits, and in my opinion, it’s a real-deal antioxidant and not some fly-by-night health product that makes lofty promises it surely won’t deliver on.
The bottom line is I’ve spent many hours investigating Life Ionizers and their new 2019 lineup of MXL ionizers. I give the MXL-9 a thumbs up 👍. Buy this machine with confidence you’re putting your money into a legit machine that costs $1000s less than a similar Kangen Water machine.
Cheers to you and your family’s good health!
Greetings fellow health nuts! I’m the host, creator, and writer here at Alkaline Water Machine Source. You can call me Hercules. My mission is to help others heal and feel better overall through the power of alkaline ionized water. It helped me win a nearly decade-long battle with chronic fatigue, and I think it can help you too!