Good morning, I’m your host Pete back to share our IONtech IT-580 review. We previously reviewed the IntelGadgets IONtech IT-757 water ionizer. The IT-580 is the most affordable machine by IONtech, and it’s worth a look for folks who are hunting for a good ionizer below a thousand dollars.
According to IntelGadgets, the IT-580 is its “Basic” unit, which puts it on first-time ionizer owners’ radars. Most people prefer to start with a budget unit to test the alkaline waters before setting sail to buy a premium water ionizer.
We always like to go over the features first so you know exactly what you’re getting before making your final decision. By the end of our review, you’ll know whether the IONtech IT-580 satisfies your needs.
Every quality alkaline water machine on the market features platinum-coated titanium electrolysis plates. Most machines come equipped with five, seven, or nine plates.
More plates generally equal more power, a wider pH range, and a higher max negative ORP at the ideal pH range for drinking water.
In addition to the plates, we’ll look at whether the IT-580 is countertop only, its pH range, water settings, warranty terms, ORP range, and several other options.
Let’s begin with the bulleted list below:
- 5 Platinum-Coated Titanium Plates with Ceramic Membranes
- No LCD screen and the overall appearance of the IT-580 is outdated compared to the IT-757
- A single high-efficiency ACF-1 activated carbon filter (the same filter as the IT-757 which is good if you plan to upgrade later)
- Countertop and under-sink installation options
- An extra-long hose to make pouring easier
- A built-in thermostat prevents overheating
- Includes a basic pH testing kit
- Choose between 110v and 220v: International buyers should contact the seller to let him know you need a 220v connection
- Self-cleaning Cycle: After each use, the unit will automatically run a 10-second cleaning cycle. Then, after every 30 liters, it reminds you to do a full 2-minute cleaning. Simply push the cleaning button to complete the 2-minute cycle.
- pH Range: 4.5 to 11
- Max ORP: -850 mV (matches the IT-757)
- 7 Water Settings: 4 alkaline, 2 acidic, and 1 for purified drinking water (this matches the IT-757)
- Filter Life: Up to 1585 Gallons
- Dimensions: 8″ x 5″ x 12″ (LxWxH)
- Weight: 8 lbs
- Warranty: 2-Year (this is one of the shortest terms offered by a reputable water ionizer brand)
Installing the IONtech IT-580
The countertop installation is just about as simple as it gets. Quickly learn the installation procedure by watching the instructional video below:
Watch the instructional video for under-counter installation below:
If you plan to install the unit under the sink, IONtech sells a compatible chrome-plated faucet.
IONtech-580 Replacement Filters
The IONtech IT-580 uses the same single ACF-1 activated carbon filter as the IT-757 model. Each unit comes with one activated carbon filter, and the filters are made in the USA.
Advertised filter life is 1,500 to 3,000 gallons, though, 3,000 gallons is certainly a stretch. We recommend sticking to 1,500 when calculating your annual replacement filter cost.
|1st Stage Filter|
|Avg. life||1,500 – 3,000 gallons|
|Filter Media Type||ACF-1 High-Grade Activated Carbon|
If you want to prolong the life of your water ionizer filter consider installing a three-stage pre-filtration system. This is the case for all water ionizers and an especially important consideration for people with high TDS tap water or well water.
IONtech IT-580 Reviews: Is It Worth It?
This part of the review is the most important. Let’s go over the pros & cons of owning the IT-580:
- The self-cleaning system in IONtech ionizers is very efficient and may help you skip doing citric acid cleansings altogether
- If you’re on well water, pre-filtration is a must to avoid scaling
- You may not feel the IT-580 is the better choice when compared to the Aqua Ionizer Deluxe 5.0
- IONtech confirmed that the unit is made of food-grade materials that are both BPA and lead-free.
- Customer service is quick to respond and polite when helping people with their installations or other questions
- For people who want to take an ionizer on the road with them, this unit is a great choice because it’s one of the lightest on the market (IONtech recommends carrying the carbon filter in a separate plastic bag while traveling)
- The plastic components feel sturdy, not cheap
- It gets the job done for a fraction of the price of premium ionizers
- The pH levels are accurate
Overall, the IONtech IT-580 water ionizer is a good starter unit if you’re okay with no LCD display and its outdated appearance. The greatest advantage of this unit is its size and weight for people who want to take it on the road. RV owners will most likely find the most value here.
On the flip side of the coin, we feel there are better 5-plate ionizers available. Currently, we rank the Aqua Ionizer Deluxe 5.0 as our #1 budget pick in our guide to choosing the best water ionizer. Be sure to consider your alternatives before choosing the IT-580.